Monday, October 25, 2010

Happiness is Dinner Cooking Itself

Cold weather means crockpot season at our house and one of the best quick stews I discovered last winter was this yummy beef stew. Less than 10 minutes to prep, eight hours to cook and we're set for at least a week or I freeze a few pints as soon as it's done for later. Healthy, simple and completely organic.
  • 1 1/2 pounds cubed beef stew meet (I substitute buffalo)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 (16 oz.) package frozen mixed vegetables (I double this)
  • 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed (I use two of whatever I have around, usually golden or red)
  • 10 cubes beef bouillon, crumbled (I use Penzeys Beef Soup Base, way less sodium)
  • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil 
 Put the meat on the bottom of the crockpot; toss in everything else; give it a quick stir; set it to eight hours on low and walk away.... tasty. I made it up on Sunday night and we are set for lunch and dinner on Monday, plus a few other lunches later in the week.

Related aside, I'm totally hooked on Penzeys Spices (I use the California basil in the stew). It may sound crazy, but their dried spices, spice mixes, etc. really do beat anything I've picked up at the store. We've got two shops locally, but they are coast to coast. I'll have to work up an ode to their adobo seasoning.

I'm hoping to include at least one slow cooker meal in my weekly meal planning to save on time and cut down the likelihood of eating out. I would love additional suggestions.

1 comment:

  1. You inspired me to give my crockpot one. last. chance. today.

    This may be its one great triumph. However, I keep forgetting that I have a small crockpot. Next time, I will factor that in--I could only squeeze in one potato and half the tomatoes. :(

    One question: Does the boullion/water combo help with thickening? I used beef stock instead--great flavor, but I'd like a different consistency.

    ReplyDelete