Sunday, January 23, 2011

An Extra Hour

If there were only more than 24 hours in a day. Ah, the sentiment we've all uttered seriously or fleeting from time to time as we rush from task to task. After grad school, I can remember basking in luxurious open evenings. Spacious Sundays uninterrupted by a forced eight hour march at the library. Coming back to Washington work-life balance was at the heart of my career choice. Less on-call, less frenetic pace. All conscious choices.

A survey of the past three years back in our hometown, shows a splattered mix of the use of my new found free time. Nothing cemented with conviction and discipline the way grad school forces you to divide your days.

An hour for the gym.

An hour for writing.

An hour for cooking a more involved meal.

An hour for art/gift/photo projects.

Sure they've all made an appearance in the repertoire, but some how none has carved out firm time. So when DH travels for several weeks at a time I'm presented with an interesting opportunity that I've often squandered. Massive chunks of time that I can fill with anything at all. An ideal opportunity to form new habits, healthy habits.

So I'd like to be able to report that with the start of 2011 the latest sojourn brought on by his travel has set me on the right path. Specifically with reestablishing a five day-a-week gym schedule. That would be a no.

Rather, I've rediscovered a mean case of insomnia; tried out a few new recipes (yummy pork loin and pizza recipes will be shared later); caught up on a disproportionate amount of reality TV; and merely dappled in the gym.

Well, tomorrow is a new day. Maybe the extra hour I need to fit in the gym will be there.

1 comment:

  1. hah! sid was gone this past week, and after this coming one he's gone for three months again. i have such a to do list for those solo days, but if last week is a predictor of the months to come, i'll be eating a lot of mac & cheese and not putting away my laundry. good luck to both of us!

    ReplyDelete