Monday, January 31, 2011

Making It Up

One of the first items that prompted me to consider documents/blogging about a more mindful life were the products I use on a daily basis. Inspired by my friend Sarah, makeup was on my list of items to reevaluate. So for the past year I've been trying to get through my existing product so I could replace them. After a few false starts, I finally reached a point where I realized a few things.

1. I can't completely run out of everything at the same time
2. I really need to start wearing make up like a grown up, you know a "real" professional.
3. I am completely intimidated by make up, skin care and the women who work at stores that sell them, e.g. MAC.

So I started searching for a consultant that wasn't affiliated with a specific brand. I wanted a translator for the vast world of product. This should have been an easy endeavor, but lacking any direct referrals I had reached a dead end. Then I randomly came across the handy Washingtonian Reader Deals, and voilĂ  Princess Street

Megan, the brains behind Princess Street, offers a straightforward service. She'll come to your place and evaluate your current products; make a list based on what you're looking for; go shopping with you to pick out the products; and come back to your place to teach you how to use it all. It's fun and idiot proof. Perfect. Flat fee for her expertise and you buy the products selected based on the budget you set out.

So this past Saturday, I spent my afternoon shopping with my new personal makeup expert for a whole new look. The headline? I really have no idea about make up, but M was super friendly and helpful. Most importantly, she answered the questions that elude me. What's worth a splurge, and what can you just pick up at the drugstore?

So armed with the goal of getting more natural, professional make up we headed out. In retrospect, I was ill equipped to really know if the products we finally selected really fall low enough on the Skin Deep scale to be a true improvement, but I'm going to go through the process of typing the products (the ones not in the database yet) to get an overall rating. Another post for another day.

We hit four stores: MAC, Sephora, CVS and Blue Mercury. I'm also heading to Target to pick up a couple things we couldn't find. 

The list of new products (photos later):

2 comments:

  1. i did this a few months ago! i turned 30 and decided that i was bored with thinking that chapstick and mascara were as put-together as it got and begged an aesthetician i'd become friendly with to sort me out. we ended up spending about two hours in sephora but it ended up being a lot of fun and i *think* i'm getting better at this.

    also, i think i reply to every post. which is to say that i think this is a great blog and everything you're up to lately really resonates with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura Mercier also makes the BEST under eye concealer ever. And then you use a brightening powder over it. I have to say I use that, then the Laura Mercier moisturizer you use. Add a little eyeliner, mascara, and tinted lip balm and I actually look put together and it takes about 4 minutes.

    ReplyDelete