Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Lampshade Economics

Last weekend I purchased a lampshade at Target (said of course with the ridiculous yuppie pronunciation). Simple, functional and turns out slightly damaged when I got it home.

So I returned to Target to exchange it for a new one. No problem. In and out in no time.

The catch.

The original shade was purchased in Virginia. The exchange happened in the District.

It cost me 15 cents more to exchange the shade in D.C.  because of the difference in tax rates. Plus the $1.50 in parking (no free surface lots in Columbia Heights). Of course, I started compounding this cost differential in my head on a variety of things we purchase on a regular basis and was not pleased. Ouch.

And yes, this is where all my Virginia friends can remind me that this is why people move across the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment