Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Four Less Wheels

I could pretend that we sold our second car because we are that committed to reducing our carbon footprint. I could then piously write about how many pollutants we've kept out of the air as a result of our choice. But, you would be reading a complete line of BS.

The reality is, we sold our SUV this past year because we wanted to get the money out of a depreciating asset before Saturns had absolutely no value on the market. Yes, we did sell the newer, bigger car and held onto our 10 year old little compact. But let's be honest. It has a lot more to do with our race to eliminate debts and save for tomorrow than any environmental soap box.

Yet, the return to a single set of wheels has absolutely changed a lot about our habits. Sure, we are lucky that we live in a large metropolitan area. Yes, I have six bus lines within less than two blocks of my house (and still none of them run when I need them). Yes, those buses can get me to the metro that can whisk me to all various corners of the city.

Now my SmartTrip card is always loaded (except for this evening when I found out I had -.95 cents when I exited the metro). I have a running list of bus schedules in my head, and I am reaching master status of knowing which buses connect where in NW DC. These are all things that before a single set of wheels, I would have never prioritized.

The impact on my/our schedule is sometimes acute. We shuffle carpooling and car possession daily. Who needs to be where and when. We end up carpooling in the morning a lot more. So I guess you could say reducing our carbon footprint is helping us spend more time together...

So while my increased reliance on public transportation has come about in a none purist fashion, it has made me more aware of how many cars really could come off the road. Planning the time to take the train is worth it. Yes, it's a bit of pain, yes you have to plan ahead, but taking one more car off the road at least a few days a week is meaningful.

The EPA estimates that the U.S. consumes 26% of the world petroleum. As a country 43% of our petroleum use is for our cars. Yuck. Gas near or over $3, double yuck.

Cars impact more than the air. Water pollution, noise pollution, solid waste, land use, and wildlife are all impacted by our car use obsession. The EPA also believes that driving a car is the single most polluting activity a private citizen can undertake in a given day.

According to the APTA, "If an individual switches a 20-mile round trip commute to public transportation, his or her annual CO2 emissions will decrease by 4,800 pounds per year, equal to a 10 percent reduction in a two-car household’s carbon footprint."

But, come on. We need to get there when we need to get there. The time saved now is more valuable to us.
This, this is the argument I'm having to rework in my head as I am standing in line waiting for the bus or jockeying  my schedule to catch a train (while fighting the urge to hail a taxi).

May 13 was Bike To Work Day. I did not. I contemplate it often and always stop short when I start thinking about the showering, getting ready at the office logistics. Way too complicated and I'm paranoid I'm going to get clipped in traffic by a @$#* driver. Baby steps people. I did think this one BTWD site had some interesting points though,

"During its lifetime, on the road, each car produces another 1.3 billion cubic yards of polluted air and scatters an additional 40 pounds of worn tire particles, brake debris and worn road surface into the atmosphere."

It's worth mentioning we certainly are saving additional cash by having lower insurance, buying less gas, etc (although those savings may be going to SBUX). However, we also have been using the little organic market next door to us more. We pop down to grab milk or avocados rather than rush off to Whole Foods.

So while it's not always enjoyable, we are starting to adjust to our return to four wheels. Any chance you'll be letting your wheels rest at home soon? Or does having them make it too easy to not have to choose?

2 comments:

  1. And selfishly, public transportation gives you that travel time to read or get a little work done rather than being angry at the drivers around you.

    I'm thrilled I got my motorcycle license and can get around town on my scooter - it alleviates some of my fears about cycling around (more visible, lights & horns & turn signals, faster), but has an even smaller environmental impact than my very fuel efficient car. Plus is nimble and can get around backed up lines of cars :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never have to make that choice--one licensed driver in the relationship means one car. ;) I'd love to get down to no car and rely on public transportation and zipcar, but that's unlikely for a while (my office is moving to Reston Town Center next month) (and I'm not).

    (And I really, really don't want to.)

    ReplyDelete