Friday, January 21, 2011

Just Walking My Dog

While you're tucked into your snuggie on the couch watching Dancing with the Stars or the Real Housewives, I'm bundled up to take my dog out for one last evening walk. Such is the life of urban yarders. You know those of us who have no yard so we have to trek out each and every time our dogs need to go out.

This late evening stroll around the neighborhood provides more than an excuse for my 80 lb. dog to stretch his legs. It also makes a visible statement about the level of awareness of  the neighborhood. Quiet streets, unattended cars and dark windows all are easy targets for random theft.

More than one evening in my years of walking the dog late I've come across a group of restless, thug-wanna-bes surveying car windows along the street. Without fail they size me up, then they size up the dog. There's no conversation, no threatening looks. Just a slow, deliberate walk that they know I see them and they see me and my dog.

Once around the block and more often than not, they're gone. If not, I might linger under a well lit street light for few extra minutes as a deterrent. This neighborhood service is fulfilled by all the late night walkers, perhaps slightly more effective if your dog is larger than a tea cup (but hey, let's not pick on the little guys).

We don't ask for thanks. We don't send you a bill. In fact, we're a strange little community that self-regulates. Didn't bring a bag to pick up after your dog? Yeah, we'll call you out on that. Dog off leash with too many dogs or people around? Yea, we'll call you out on that too. Dog being too aggressive towards other dogs? You get the idea.

No it's not perfect, there are a few bad eggs that don't pick up after their dogs. But don't take down the whole bunch of us. So when I hear neighbors complaining about how dogs are ruining the neighborhood, I get a bit irked. Complain about how all big dogs are aggressive. Aspire to become one of the many places that says dogs under 25 lbs. only. Let me know how that works out.

I'll still be walking my dog, helping keep the neighborhood safe. You're welcome.

1 comment:

  1. Shortly after we moved here, I noticed a bunch of police cars at a neighbor's house when I went out for a run at the crack of dawn. Turns out, someone was trying to break-in. The neighbor next door happened to be out walking his dog (at 5:45am) and called the police. They caught the person in the act.

    As someone who is making some small efforts to get people excited about being part of their own neighborhoods, I applaud people out walking their dogs. Hell, I applaud people who are out walking without their dogs too. We all have to do our part to look out for one another and keep our neighborhoods safe.

    Keep up the good work, lady!
    --Renee--

    RocVille.com

    ReplyDelete