Monday, January 10, 2011

Watch Out Thin People

The absence of a topic in conversation can be an indication how much you really don't want to talk about something. The topic that has eluded this blog? Exercise and weight loss. I've avoided it more effectively than the Christmas cookie platters of yore. I've told myself repeatedly not to write about it because it was too personal, putting too much out there. But enough, I'm going to meekly broach the topic.

So my jump start training of 2009 for 5K/10Ks and sprint triathlons did me a wonder of good. And then through a variety of personal stresses and ironically weighing myself one day and realizing I had lost more than I thought, I stopped really trying. Genius I know. Last May I drug myself across the finish line at the Broad Street 10 miler. It was awesome, it was painful, I want to do it again. With less pain.

Working to dispense of the psychological baggage of a plus-sized lived life, I've finally come to terms with something my doctor said to me several years ago. "Watch how thin people eat and exercise and copy that."

Let me tell you, I've been ticked off about that sentiment for several years. WTH was pretty much all I could think as I walked out of her office. I've been haunted by that phrase over and over again as I made choices at a lunch or dinner with a friend or colleague that is thin and fit. I've hemmed and hawed about it as I used the stationary bike at the gym and watched a fit women pound it out on the treadmill.

Over the last year I've finally started to interpret that concept into the more literal direct statement of "make better choices." Every single thing I shovel into my mouth is a choice. Every time I don't go to the gym is a lost opportunity cost. Implementing this realization is a bit more tricky.

So as I've mulled over new years resolutions to write, the items have not surprisingly centered around health. Yesterday, I caught up with my inspiring and kick-ass training partner from 2009 and independent of each other had both reached two conclusions: we want run a race again and we miss hot yoga.

So watch out thin people, I'm watching.
And very slowly running behind you.

No comments:

Post a Comment