Tuesday, May 17, 2011

From Page to Table

As some Midwestern right of passage, my mother has long sent me magazine subscriptions. This past year, I finally asked if she could just send me Vanity Fair and the Economist instead. She kindly agreed, but as the subscriptions are running out on Midwest Living and Better Homes and Gardens, I do still read them.

This month I was pleasantly surprised that BHG actually had multiple recipes I wanted to make. So last night as we grilled out for the first time this season (yum BBQ chicken) I also made their new potato-cauliflower salad.

My affection for cauliflower, the often neglected or velveeta coated veggie, is life long snack companion. I'm always happy to see it in a recipe. I used croutons instead of the bread sticks, and french onion dip because I couldn't find the chive dip it called for, but all in all a good recipe that I would add a little tabasco kick or more pepper. Definitely making it into the summer rotation.

2 comments:

  1. I do BHG, Family Circle, Real Simple, and Ladies Home Journal. I am old-- what can I say? That salad looks delish!

    Do you cut out recipes and file them? I usually just save the magazine for so long I have to finally throw it away because I can't remember why I saved it-- surely there's a better system...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Real Simple, also still getting Traditional Home. Way more modern than I expected. I am embarking on finally filing all of my recipes, magazine or otherwise this month. Will let you know what I settle on as a best system!

    ReplyDelete