Monday, May 16, 2011

Leaving Money on the Table

After watching two episodes of Extreme Couponing I've been shamed into realizing I'm throwing money away at the grocery store. Let's not discuss the fact that I was watching this completely odd show in the first place. As I've mentioned, DH's travel allows a lot of free time for late night TV watching.

To be fair, I still don't quite understand why these individual families need 900 cans of rotel, hot sauce, and years of tooth brushes. I mean, even if the sleep medicine is free with the coupons, what are you going to do with 150 bottles of it? One family mentioned donating some items to a food bank (guessing tax write off), they all have these massive warehouse-style pantries in their houses. I digress.

On a weekly basis we purchase very few brand name products. There are very few coupons for fresh produce. I buy generic store brand a lot. So the end result has been not even looking for coupons, just store card sales. I'm realizing though with a little effort there are likely other savings to be had.

So I'm on a mission to inventory what products we use the most of and to figure out if there are coupons out there. The weekly circular doesn't really have brands we use that often. Any recommendations from other largely organic shoppers out there?

1 comment:

  1. So funny-- that show is hilarious. I have had no luck with coupons either because nothing organic or fresh is on sale ever. Some of my cleaning and household products are coupon-able, but not many. I have good luck at TJ's buying their "fearless flyer" items and stocking up on stuff I like that's not available on the off season (like apple bread mix-- so good, so gone in October). Sometimes TJs or WFM will have a huge frozen organic fruit or veggie sale, and I buy lots of those to have on hand. Occasionally, our local chains will have sales on their store brand organics, and I get stuff like oatmeal or applesauce. But typically, coupons do nothing for me.

    ReplyDelete